CLARIFYING BASINS ON BERRENRATHER STRASSE
In 1827, a 7 x 7 m foundation block with two basins was discovered.. These were clarifying basins or sedimentation tanks from the first aqueduct, which brought water from the nearby Vorgebirge hills and dated to the early 1st century AD. The larger of the linked basins had a capacity of 10 m³. It collected the sand and other articles carried down by the water. When sufficient sediment had accumulated in this basin it was transferred to the second basin. A stone channel allowed the silt to be removed completely.